Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Puss In Boots - Movie Review


Puss In Boots - Movie Review

By Jose

Plot:

A story about the events leading up to the sword fighting cat's meeting with Shrek and his friends.

Voice Cast:

Antonio Banderas (Puss In Boots), Salma Hayek (Kitty Softpaws), Zach Galifianakis (Humpty Dumpty), Bill Bob Thorton (Jack), Amy Sedaris (Jill), Guillermo Del Toro (comandante/Moustache Man), Robert Persichetti Jr (Ohhh Cat)

Review:

“Maldita Huveo”
That is exactly how I will start this review for Puss In Boots.

I was lucky enough to catch a screening this past weekend with Robert for Puss In Boots. And I have to say I am really thankful for it. I really had a good time watching the movie. It was rather entertaining and enjoyable, so much better than the last two Shrek films. Obviously I had my doubts considering Puss was not a character from Shrek that should have gotten a solo film first. Like Donkey for example. But we have Puss and thank goodness for that.

The story is a straight forward origin film. Taking us on a early adventure with Puss, then some flashbacks when he was a kitten, and then back to his new adventure with childhood friend/ex-friend Humpty Dumpty in search of the magic beans. Of course along the way we have funny moments, song and dance, fight scenes, some more comedic scenes, and finally the redemption/happy ending.

What I would have liked to see more of was Jack and Jill. Yes they had plenty of screen time but I wanted a bit more. Otherwise the movie was fine. Clearly the main story involved Puss, Kitty, and Humpty. Everything else was filler. What I also liked was the film connects and brings the story full circle. With the flashback of Puss and Humpty’s past and then at the finale ending where they started, their home town. Usually animated movies tend to just deliver laughs and whatnot to keep kids entertained.

I actually did not realize that Zach Galifianakis was voicing Humpty. It didn’t hit me until a bit later into the movie. Good choice to tell you the truth. Salma Hayek did a good job with the lovely Kitty Softpaw. And Mr. Banderas continues to deliver with Puss. Thorton and Sedaris were lost playing Jack and Jill. It could have been anyone voicing them. Although they do have some funny lines in the film talking about how Jack wants to have a baby and Jill constantly shifting the conversation to the little boar babies they had. I threw in the Ohhh Cat in my voice cast above becasue he was truly hilarious every time he was on. Keep an eye out for him.

Final Thoughts:

Puss In Boots was a great spin-off film from the Shrek universe that surprised me very much on how much I truly enjoyed it. Great for kids and great for adults too. Reminded me of the fun and laughs I had with Skrek Two.

Ratings: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment