Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Horror Spot: My Favorite Horror Movie(s)


Horror Spot: My Favorite Horror Movie(s)

By Jose


October is host to one of three of my favorite holidays, Halloween! And besides the candy and the costumes, horror movies. A month full of things that scare and haunt. I love it. Certain networks of TV have their 31 Days of Halloween or their special weeks or weekends dedicated to all things scary and Halloween.


That all brings me to my favorite horror movie or movies haha, can’t pick just one. Now my partner in crime Robert has his own article on his favorites, mainly staying in the modern era. I, myself, am a bit older so my favorites can be considered classics.

Photobucket

It was hard for me to choose my overall favorite horror movie But the one that I can consider the favorite is Friday The 13th part 2. With Jason as the full on killer of Camp Crystal Lake. The series became even more of a horror movie when Jason comes back as the undead walking nightmare that we all know and love to be scared of.

Photobucket

Now I can’t just leave it at one movie. Especially with all the great and scary movies that I have seen throughout the years. Nightmare On Elm Street is another series that caused all those sleepless and nightmare (no pun intended) filled nights. Freddy Kruger is the king of nightmares and the “real life” boogey man.

Photobucket

You can’t think of the month of October without thinking of Halloween and I am not talking about the holiday. The Halloween series and Michael Myers go hand in hand with October and the holiday.

I also need to mention Pumpkinhead, Child’s Play, Evil Dead, Creepshow, Hellraiser, The Howling, Critters, Pet Cemetery, The Thing, plus many more classics that haunted my dreams and lurked in the dark shadows. Now what apart modern horror? There must be some that can be as frightening or scary as those I mentioned above. Yes there are. Not many have captured what my favorites have done but a good handful have scared the crap out of me. Now a lot of the more modern horror movies have gone for the throat in that they go for the gore scare or shock feeling instead of that childhood scare.

Photobucket

Paranormal Activity was one of the first modern horror movies that really made me scared to sleep at night. Something I haven’t experienced since childhood. The same could be said about The Ring. My other favorite modern horror movie is Trick R Treat. It was such a great movie and really felt like Creepshow or Tales From The Darkside, that anthology horror. Giving you more than one tale in one movie.


I need to mention The Monster Squad as another favorite of mine. Now it isn’t a horror movie, more inline with The Goonies but with monsters. This movie is so great. I have never seen a movie bring in all the classic Universal Monsters, (Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and Gillman) in one movie and have it work and make sense.
Can’t wait to start watching all of these horror movies and some news ones this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment