Friday, October 22, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 Review

By: Robert Acosta

Plot: A family is haunted by a demon that just won't go away. They install security cameras all over the house to try and figure out what exactly is going on.

Review: Horror movies have definitely lost their luster these days. I’m not Horror aficionado or anything like that but I’ve seen my fair share of them and my associate here at The Movie Spot has filled me in on tons of them. I can just tell Horror movies have lost their luster. With Paranormal Activity 2, they show everyone else how it’s done.

What makes this movie so great is what makes people kind of turn away from the movie. It isn’t the scare every second or every minute like people would like and have been spoiled to. It’s a much better and much slower process than that. It is a gradual and build up kind of scary movie. Slowly but surely, the scares come. In bunches and they’re just sick. Sick in a good way of course, the way people use it nowadays.

I wish I could talk about the content of the movie but damn, I would be giving away way too much. I’ll talk about it generally just because I want people to see this movie. The twist is tremendous. The way the whole story plays out makes not only this movie great but I think, enhances the first one. Rarely do movies accomplish that.

Onto the is it scary question. It is down right scary and creepy. No movie has freaked me out like this. The original Paranormal Activity got to me and the first SAW movie definitely got to me. This one only doubled my paranoia and that is the exact feeling I only wished to come out with.

My only problem with it is that, nobody ends up being smart. I don’t think it ever portrays real life in any small manner. I know it’s just a movie but I’ve always believed that movies portray real life in some method. In this case, people just don’t think.

The argument will come up about whether or not the sequel is better than the original. That rarely happens but you’ve definitely got an argument in this case. I stand very strongly on original movies always being better than sequels because the original obviously starts it all and makes the sequel what it is. But I have a hard time arguing that for this movie. In fact, it could be vice-versa. The sequel may have made the original better.

I want to add this. The general public may bash this movie. I don’t know fully why but it could be because of their ignorance. Call it what you will, don’t go by their word. I’m not saying my word is above everyone else’s but take my word on this. Trust me, the movie is worth it.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment