Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Editorial: Audience, take it easy.

By: Robert Acosta

I've always been a person to give anything a try. On top of that, if I tried something I didn't like, I didn't trash it or bad mouth it. Same ideas apply to watching movies.

I recently got to see Paranormal Activity 2, a couple hours earlier than everyone else(lucky me). I thought the movie was more than good, more like great and fantastic. The rest of the theater, or 90% of it so it seemed, completely hated the movie and trashed it. Keep in mind it was a free movie and people were still asking for their money back.

I understand that whether a movie is good or bad is completely subjective and there really is not one movie that every single person in the world loves or hates. That's fine. Can you at least appreciate the fact that the film was free, you got to see the movie hours before many many others?

In cases where you do pay movies however, I encourage you to still see it in a positive light. Remember, YOU payed for the movie, YOU wanted to see the movie. Because the movie wasn't everything you hoped it was going to be doesn't give you a reason to talk unfavorably about the movie. You made all the decisions to be there. And don't say you could do better either because 99% of the people who say that, go home, sit on their ass and do absolutely nothing about it.

I know I've loved movies that others have hated and I've hated movies that others have loved. But I don't take away from the people who put in the work to make a movie because I, as the other 99% of people, will not get up and do something better than that on screen.

On the other hand, it's assholes like that that give me a job in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment