Thursday, December 22, 2011

The 10th best movie of 2011 is...

Something about this year of movies made it really hard to put together a definitive top 10 and be happy with it. It took much longer than last year, which is a good thing in retrospect. So many great movies this year, it was difficult narrowing a long list of 60 movies down to 10. In a way, I kind of cheated. You'll see how in a minute. I do want to give some recognition to 3 movies that were in top 10 contention for me but just missed the cut. Thor, Paranormal Activity 3 and Immortals are not in my top 10. All great movie, all with enough logic and reason to deserve a spot in the top 10, but overall, the choices in my top 10 were slightly ahead.

Let's move forward and start the list!

So the 10th best movie of the year is.....wait...there's 2 movies at #10?! NO WAY! I CHEATED!...



The Adjustment Bureau was a movie that brought a lot of originality, a lot of heart and a lot of character to a very simple concept. Everything in their world was planned out by a being much more powerful than them, a being that they never saw. Well everyone but David Norris (Matt Damon) never saw. Norris wouldn't go down without a fight though once he realized his life wasn't really in his hand. He went to hell and back to be able to gain his free will, earn his free will. It's that kind of heart (and overall story of the movie) that lands Adjustment Bureau at #10.

My 2nd movie at #10...

I'm 100% sure that this won't be the last you hear of 30 Minutes or Less in our award season. In a year stacked with a lot comedies, a lot of familiar comedies with heavy hitters in the cast, it seemed like 30 Minutes or Less didn't have a chance. But with the established Jesse Eisenberg developing a nice comedic repertoire, the over exaggeration of Aziz Ansari and great villainous roles from Danny McBride, Nick Swardson and Michael Pena, 30 Minutes or less looks like a strong contender for Comedy of the year.

Does it seem like I cheated putting 2 movies for 1 spot? Maybe. I just couldn't deny these two movies in my top 10.

Stay tuned for the rest of the list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment