Thursday, September 9, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Review

By: Robert Acosta

Cast:
Zachary Gordon as Greg Heffley
Robert Capron as Rowley Jefferson
Devon Bostick as Rodrick Heffley
Laine MacNeil as Patty Ferrell

Plot: A middle school bound boy, Greg, tries to become popular and ultimately, get on the class favorites list in the yearbook.

Review: I'll be honest, I wasn't too excited for this movie but it was a movie that I slightly wanted to check out in the beginning of this year. I waited for it on DVD just in case it didn't do so well and I have to say, that was a great decision on my part. This movie is far from what middle school could actually be like.

After watching multiple trailers of the movie, I expected a couple of small comedic moments, a crazy middle school and a moral at the end of the story. They delivered on the small comedic moments but there was something about the characters that just didn't sit right with me and the moral at the end of the story didn't come across as clear because of the characters.

The main character, Greg, is entering middle school so we can assume he's about 10 or 11 years old. He has got to be the cockiest asshole in middle school history. That's where the trouble starts for me. The movie is called "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and not once does the main character acknowledge that he is a wimpy kid. He just has this completely misinformed idea that he deserves to be popular and have all these friends, meanwhile treating his best friend like crap. More than anything, Greg comes off as an annoying little prick.

On the other hand Greg's best friend, Rowley, made the movie a tiny bit enjoyable. Hopefully somebody who runs the Nickelodeon or Disney channels were watching the movie because he would easily be on a show for either channel and be funny. He the had the look of a wimpy kid more than the main character and played it much better.

I can't say there was much of a moral to the story. I don't think the main character Greg learned absolutely anything from this and he only looked slightly changed, but barely.

I like to see the good in movies so I usually don't trash movies like this but damn I barely enjoyed that movie. It annoyed me, angered me at times, the moral disappeared. Small comedic parts and Robert Capron as Rowley Jefferson weren't enough to make this even passable to me.

Rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment