Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Spot News: Green Lantern, Going Dark


By: Robert Acosta

Stop me if you've heard this before. A comic book film is going to go darker and edgier. Yeah, you probably stopped me 5 times during that sentence cause that's all we hear from these kind of movies. But yet again, we have another comic book movie going dark. This time, it's Green Lantern.

Now, Green Lantern had a lot of problems. I'm not sure that the "darkness" of its content was one of them though. Not every story has to be dark. Just telling the story will suffice, believe me. You wanna know what you do? Cool, here's what you do. Get Ryan Reynolds out of there, cause he's not Hal Jordan. That's no mark against Reynolds cause he is a tremendous actor, one of my favs and damn entertaining. But he's just not Hal Jordan. Second, no more love stories. Blake Lively, beautiful she may be, has to be reduced in her role in the movie. I want her to be there, just don't consume the story. Finally, let's see a real rivalry going, let's see Green Lantern in some trouble against whoever may be the villain in the movie (though the choice is rather obvious).

Either way, DC is really falling behind, but I'll always hold out hope that one day, something not named Batman or Superman will be good for DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment