Friday, September 2, 2011

Summer 2011 Movie Review


Summer 2011 Review

Summer has finally ended. No more vacations or stay-cations, no more beach, no more fun in the sun, no more summer blockbusters. But not all is bad in the world. This summer delivered, what I could say was, one of the best summer of movies in some time.
Now before I get into I do have to say that I do not consider Fast And Furious 5 to be part of the summer movie season. To me that season starts in May not the end of April.


But besides that May started with a thunder god smashing his way through the movie screens and started the season with a bang. Not only did Thor start things off it also continued Marvel’s dominance over the comic book movie genre. Bridesmaids surprised me in a good way delivering a rather good and funny movie. Kung Fu Panda 2 was a great action packed sequel yet I felt it lacked a bit of story. It was still good in my books though and I highly enjoyed it in 3D. The Hangover 2 gave me the same story, different location. Not something I really enjoyed but I still laughed and enjoyed the comedy.

Photobucket

June came upon us and smacked us with some quality movies. But with that smack comes the painful experience of disappointment. X-Men First Class erased that bad sour taste of X3 from our mouths and brought back the X-Men franchise to the high standard that the X-Men and X2 gave us. Even surpassing them. Super 8 was a great coming of age movie about a groups of friends filming a movie and thrown into a alien conspiracy. Transformers: Dark Of The Moon did what X-Men First Class did and that was to bring back that greatness to it’s name and brought out a fantastic action packed movie.
With the good comes the bad. And I do mean bad. DC/WB attempted to bring Green Lantern to the big screen and just flat out shot themselves in the foot and then proceeded to salt the wound. The only redeeming aspect of the film was the ending with Sinestro grabbing the yellow ring and the ability to actually release a DC comics movie that is not Batman or Superman. Bad Teacher was hyped up so much yet it failed to deliver. The funniest parts were all in the trailer.


Now the meat of the Summer Movie Season. JULY!!! All around the best movies are released during this month. All the high profile and blockbuster movies. Winnie The Pooh showed that Disney can still deliver traditional animated movies and that old characters like Winnie can still be a star. I loved this movie and it gave me high hopes that The Muppets movie coming out in November will also be great. Horrible Bosses was hilarious and actually was a great comedy. Friends With Benefits sucked. I did not enjoy it. Kunis was hot and all but not even she could save this movie. But Crazy Stupid Love was a way better romantic comedy and I really enjoyed it. Now for the best movies of the month.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 was beyond a wonderful ending to a series that is held so fondly by many, many fans and people world wide. I loved this movie and actually shed some tears. I didn’t want it to end. Marvel continued to dominate the summer with their last entry with Captain America. It was good. Better than I expected it to be. Captain America also gave us a wonderful teaser to the Avengers. Can’t wait! But I can’t end July without mentioning Attack The Block. To me this was hands down the best underdog movie this summer. Many limited and indie movies are released throughout the year. And during the summer we get a few that actually are pretty good. Well Attack The Block beat them all. By far one of my favorites of the year so far.

August is usually a slow month that still tends to deliver decent movies even though it is considered “dump month”. The Change Up was funny but forgettable. I wanted to enjoy it more than what I did. It was just missing that something. Rise of The Planet of Apes was better than what I thought. Decent movie. Delivered what it needed to and didn’t screw around. A straight forward damn good movie. 30 Minutes Or Less was one of the best comedies this summer and the Eisenburg/Azis team was hilarious. Final Destination 5 gave me what part four did. Not bad at all. Yet the ending was out of nowhere and truly unexpected from me. I can’t really talk about Fright Night, Conan, Colombiana, and Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark because I haven’t seen them yet. I hope I catch them soon considering I have plans for two of them for October.



So the Summer Movies of 2011 was by far one of the best. I hope next summer we get more of the same or at least a fraction.

My Top Movies Summer 2011

5 - Crazy Stupid Love
4 - Winnie The Pooh
3 - X-Men First Class
2 - Attack The Block
1 - Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment