Sunday, November 21, 2010

First Impressions: Green Lantern Trailer

By: Robert Acosta


I told you i'd be back to talk about Green Lantern.

So, the first Green Lantern trailer hit this past week and The Movie Spot had it for you just a few days back. You can watch it again in this post, right at the beginning of it.

I'll be honest, i'm more of a Marvel Comics fan, not DC. When it comes to me, I only the heavy heavy hitters of DC. You know, the Batmans and Supermans. But, DC is trailing Marvel films by a lot. Marvel has done an alright job putting together their films. By my count, they have 2 good Spider-Man films, 2 good X-Men films, 2 good Iron Man films, a good Hulk movie, a couple of fair Punisher movies, and some OK attempts at Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider. DC has a great pair of Batman films, a not so bad Superman film and....and...um...that's it.

Now with Green Lantern coming, DC looks to cut the lead that Marvel has on them.

My first impression of Green Lantern is along the lines of ehhhh. I'm sure that gesture is familiar to people these days as it is used to describe sub-par efforts.

The costume that is CGI on Green Lantern, played by Ryan Reynolds, doesn't look all too good. I actually find it to look kind of silly. The story looks a bit intriguing, though i'm not too accustomed with the story of Green Lantern. The beautiful Blake Lively is in it, seemingly playing Lantern's love interest and she's always good to have. Some of the effects look pretty good, especially that punch of green light that Reynolds uses, that looked cool.

I'm not overly impressed with Green Lantern just yet. As much as I love Ryan Reynolds, he's a phenomenal actor who is always entertaining, but I still don't think this was the role for him. My personal pick would have been Bradley Cooper, from The Hangover, cause I think he's made more for action type films and has the action ability to do the serious, action-comedy style.

There is still a lot of time between now and the release of the film so maybe I can find something to be impressed with. Though I don't want to find something to be impressed by, I want to naturally be impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment