Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Take Me Home Tonight Review


By: Robert Acosta
Cast:
Topher Grace as Matt Franklin
Anna Faris as Wendy Franklin
Teresa Palmer as Tori Frederking
Dan Fogler as Barry Nathan

Plot: The idea of growing up, becoming an adult has become a problem for four people, really trying to find their calling in life.

Review: The 80's. Filled with partying, fun music and indecisiveness. Not sure about that last word, but if you lived in the 80's then you know better than I do. I just thought that the 80's as a whole was much better than it was represented in this movie.

There is a lot wrong with Take Me Home Tonight. I'll be honest, for the 30-45 minutes I just wanted to leave. There was nothing funny about it, nothing interesting about it. I smirked every now and then, a chuckle here and a chuckle there. Nothing I would write home about and nothing i'm going to write here, that's for sure.

It sucks that I had to write that. I enjoy Topher Grace's work, I think he is a very lively, funny actor. It sucks that he had to be a part of a mostly trash movie. He brings as much to the table as he possibly could, but even he seemed to come off as lame and dry. Teresa Palmer has a bright future in Hollywood. She's young, beautiful, and a very good actress. Terribly, she gets sucked into a project that may hurt her credibility.

Dan Fogler is not funny. I want to put that out there. 95% of what he said and did in the film was not funny. And not just to me, but the audience mostly did not respond to him all too much. He may be the biggest problem in the movie as he just tries way too hard to be funny, when I don't think he is naturally funny.

Like most Rom Coms, Take Me Home Tonight is predictable to the bone. I even think that some ideas were recycled from other Rom Coms. You got "the penis game" taken out of 500 Days of Summer and the wardrobe that looks like it came right out of a John Hughes movie. Personally, i'm tired of seeing the same movie played out over and over. All these writers seem to be doing is taking new actors and pinning them with the same script.

The only thing that seemed to work was the chemistry between Topher Grace and Teresa Palmer. It's the only thing that made the movie even the slightest bit watchable. It's a nice one, filled with some "aww" moments and all in all, is fun to watch.

What can I say that I haven't already said? I would do my best to avoid this movie at all costs. Maybe catch it when it hits network television, but even then, there will be more productive things to do with your life.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment