Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Here Comes June


We've slowly (or rapidly depending on how you see it) approached the half way point of 2010 and the summer movie season is nearly upon us. Some may argue, it's already here! With movies like Iron Man 2 and Prince of Persia it's hard to argue that the summer movie season isn't here.

Is the official summer movie season going to heat up? only one way to find out. Here are the movie releases for the month of June:

June 4
  • Get Him to the Greek
  • Marmaduke
  • Killers
  • Splice
  • Ondine(x)
June 11
  • The A-Team
  • The Karate Kid
June 18
  • Toy Story 3
  • Jonah Hex
  • Cyrus (x)
  • I am Love (x)
  • The Killer Inside Me (x)
June 25
  • Grown Ups
  • Knight & Day
June 30
  • The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Robert Acosta:
So May delivered on a couple of movies, including Iron Man 2 and more recently Prince of Persia and MacGruber. May was a solid month and usually does a good job of setting up what the summer may look like. Lets hope for more solid films in June, July and August.

To be honest, I don't think there is much to be excited about. To start off the month we have the characters from Forgetting Sarah Marshall starring in their own movie in Get Him to the Greek. I loved Forgetting Sarah Marshall but was there really a need to make a movie about them? I'm hoping this movie offers up some laughs at least, but right now i'm doubting that.

Both Marmaduke and Killers looks half ass'd and not even worth the thought of going to see. Maybe if you have kids, than Marmaduke could be a fun movie to watch but I have no reason to watch Killers. As for Splice, just watch the trailer over and over, they show you everything you need to know.

I can't say that The A-Team looks promising but should offer some good action. I never saw the original show but then again that seems to be the case with me for a lot of things. Karate Kid also looks to offer up some good action, provide some cheap comedy and maybe a little nostalgia for the people who saw and loved the original movies. We'll see if it'll be that good.

Speaking of Nostalgia, one of the only movies i'm looking forward to is Toy Story 3. I remember seeing both Toy Story 1 and 2 in theaters as a kid and loving them so going back to finish up the trilogy is going to be nice. I'm sure a lot of people share that feeling with me, hell they may be even taking their kids to the see Toy Story 3.

I don't want to comment on Jonah Hex cause it looks like crap. For some reason, Megan Fox's career to me is just going downhill. Ever since the end of Transformers 2, it just hasn't looked good to me. Add this piece of crap to her list of crap.

Grown ups seems to offer up some laughs but can it be consistent to have people laughing throughout most of the movie? I'm not sure. I'm big fans of Kevin James, Adam Sandler and Chris Rock but all 3 in the same movie along with David Spade and Rob Schneider may not work. Only time will tell.

Finally, Eclipse is here. You can tell by the lack of an exclamation point that I am not excited. Even though in the trailer Eclipse looks to be better than the other 2 movies released, I can't say that i'm convinced that it's going to be a good movie.

Jose Diaz:
So the summer movie season is officially on yet I feel that it started with a poof instead of a bang. Iron Man 2 did well and continues to do so. Shrek 4 is doing what it was meant to do. Then there is the rest of the movies. Robin Hood did not prove to be a money maker, Sex in the City 2 seems to have suffered greatly from the sequel curse, and MacGruber failed badly (regardless of how funny it was). What happened May?


So here comes June. Looks like we have a good selection of movies coming out this month. A bit better than how May looked. Get Him to The Greek starring Jonah Hill and Russell Brand which looks like it is going to be a lot of fun. Splice seems to be the horror of the month yet from the trailers, we have seen the whole movie. I mean they gave away how the creature looks from small to adult stage. So what is the reason for me to go see it? Maybe an executive producer by the name of Guillermo del Toro. The remake of A Team is this month and say what you want but this is a 50/50 for me. Then here comes Toy Story 3. Pixar’s first trilogy of fantastic movies. I can’t wait to see this and I am hoping that Pixar did not get lazy and delivers a worthy film. We end the month with another comedy, Grown Ups, starring Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek, Steve Buscemi, Kevin James, Maria Bello, Jamie Chung, Rob Schneider, Dave Spade, Chris Rock, Maya Rudolph, Gary Busey, Norm McDonald, Tim Meadows, Colin Quinn, and the kitchen sink. And another movie by the name of Eclipse the third part to the Twilight franchise. Which I am looking forward to due to David Slade directing.

So that was all the movies I was looking forward to. Now here are the rest of the “hope we break even” and the “we are cashing a paycheck” group. Marmaduke. I don’t care who is voicing what animal the dog does not speak in the comic strip and neither does the family own a Mexican cat. So the movie fails. Now Ashton Kutcher and that dumb idiot from Grey’s Anatomy in Killers. Sigh. Knight and Day starring Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. I have not seen any trailer or picture of this movie and it comes out in a couple of weeks. Epic fail right there. And here comes the “most likely going to make money due to a famous father and an Oprah endorsement” The Karate Kid starring Jackie Chan and one of Will Smiths offspring.

Overall June seems half decent and only seems to serve the purpose of whetting your appetite for July’s selection of movies. But hey I could be wrong and be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment