Wednesday, June 1, 2011

2011 Summer Movie Season Preview


2011 Summer Movie Season Preview

By Jose

One month in of the Summer movie season and already we have seen some big movies dominating the box office domestically and world wide. Most of the films have grossed over 100 million dollars so far and continue to bring in more. Thor, Pirates of The Caribbean 4, The Hangover 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, Bridesmaids. All hits and all great movies to start the season with. But will the coming months continue that trend or will be see a slump or dip as more movies are released all wanting to be seen and earn our money?

June begins with what I felt might have been a bad movie, yet all I have been hearing recently is nothing but great things and what possibly could be the action movie of the month. X-Men First Class comes out swinging on June 3rd. But on top of fighting all previous releases it only has a week before another possible hit is released in Super 8. The secretive alien movie by JJ Abrahms and Steven Spielberg. Although I have this nagging possible problem with the movie (creature or alien will be invisible for the entire movie) I hope I am wrong and it turns out great. Following that is DC Comics and Warner Bros. attempt to take a chunk of the comics book movie pie with Green Lantern on June 17th. At first I was rather excited and happy to see DC Comics release a non Batman non Superman film, but now I am worried that it will not live up to the hype and would fail. We all have Jim Carrey in Mr Popper’s Penguins released that same day. Might be good for the kids not sure if it will be a hit or make a dent in the box office. June 24th sees the comedy Bad Teacher which I hope is as funny as the trailer leads us to believe and what I say is a waste and unnecessary sequel in Cars 2. Really Cars 2? Cars was the only Pixar movie that I disliked. The first did nothing for me the way the other Pixar hits have. And I see nothing to even make me smile in Cars 2. The month ends off on a rather big explosion with the release of Transformers 3 Dark of The Moon, I have a feeling this movie will be a huge hit and erase the bad taste part 2 left us with. I will say Transformers 3 will dominate the box office big time.

That was June but what about the main Summer month? July is normally the bigger and badder movie release month and from what I have seen, July looks like it will be huge this year. Horrible Bosses and Zookeeper are out on July 8th giving us a cushion week before some big movies come out. But that is not saying that they will be bad. Horrible Bossed looks like it might be a fun movie and again Zookeeper will have the kids happy. But on the 15th we will have the saddest day along with the biggest release this year. Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2. The last movie of the franchise. Expect tears and empty wallets. Another movie is out the same day which was a wrong move but we will see what happens. Winnie the Pooh is back in traditional animation from Disney and I will gladly and happily see that movie, after I catch Harry Potter of course. Next comes the final build up movie for Marvel’s Avengers plan with Captain America on the 22nd. If judging by Thor and what I have read about X-Men First Class here’s hoping to a complete trifecta of great Marvel movies this year. The week after I see as a slow, subdued week with The Smurfs, Crazy Stupid Love, and Cowboys And Aliens coming out on the 29th. Personally looking forward to Cowboys And Aliens.

August is normally considered a ”dump-month” for movies. None of the big blockbusters, smaller films, films that studios are not too behind on. But most of the times August surprises us with some nice and great movies. Rise of The Planet Of The Apes comes out on the 5th. Not sure how I feel about that to tell you the truth. The 12th sees 30 Minutes Or Less and the fifth installment of Final Destination. Two weeks of movie that may not be as big of hits of the previous releases but most likely do rather well and worth seeing. The 19th I see some possible sleeper hit with Conan the Barbarian and the remake of Fright Night. The 26th has a movie that I want to see rather badly in Don’t Be Afraid of The Dark.

With that ends the Summer Movie Season. Which honestly looks to be the best movie summer compared to last couple of summers. With one month in and already the total box office reaching over 200 million dollars and we still have three months and a handful of big blockbusters coming soon. It is going to be a great summer to be a movie fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment