Monday, June 20, 2011

Green Lantern Review

By: Robert Acosta

Cast:
Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond
Mark Strong as Sinestro

Plot: Pilot Hal Jordan comes upon a power that has selected him to protect the Earth. A power that originally does not want but, in the end, needs.

Review: I want to make a note before I go full on into the review. I don't know the Green Lantern story. I'm not much of a Green Lantern fan. I have nothing against the comics, but I never got into them either. So this review is from the perspective of someone who doesn't know the story and is reviewing the movie on the movie's content.

Green Lantern is a movie met with a lot of expectations and a lot of scrutiny, well before the movie was released this past Friday. Obviously, DC comic movies aren't doing so well. Unless your name is Batman. So there is that high expectation. On top of that, a sequel for the Green Lantern is seemingly in development. So if Green Lantern bombed, boy would this be embarrassing. I'm here to say that DC failed and that Green Lantern wasn't good.

As the story goes, Hal Jordan (played by Ryan Reynolds) is a reckless pilot, living in the memory of his father who held the same occupation. He unexpectedly is given the power of the Green Lantern, goes into training, must defend the Earth against a, should have been, nearly unstoppable force.

Here is what went wrong. You gotta have a little more action for the debut of Green Lantern. In the few action scenes in the film, they all were short and it always ended the bitch way, for lack of a better term. I mean, is no one a real threat to the mighty Green Lantern? I felt like there was more of a romance story going on rather than a good storytelling, action film.

I also felt like the pacing of the movie was way too fast, rushed is a better word. You had quick fight scenes, some scenes of dialogue, a long dialogue between Reynolds and Blake Lively(who is gorgeous by the way) and it just all happened so fast. Some would called that fast paced movie, I call that rushing.

Lastly, it seems like the only characters they really developed was Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris and Hector Hammond. You've got a full on society of Green Lanterns and all you do is merely mention names? As someone who does not know the Lantern story, I'm sitting as puzzled as ever because I have no idea who any of these people are or what they protect.

I will say that the special effects/CGI wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been and the CGI suit that is on Lantern looks pretty good. If you see it in 3D, you won't notice much of a difference, it's not really used at all...as it kind of isn't used with most movies.

They did set up the sequel kind of nice, taking a page out of the Marvel book and doing a during/after credits scene. I know Marvel didn't invent the during/after credits scene, but damn have they done it the best.

Overall, Green Lantern didn't do much for me. It lands in the same pile as The Last Airbender did for me where the movie itself was bad, but the sequel shows much promise. As it stands now, I'd skip Green Lantern or wait for DVD. Or even wait for the sequel.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment