Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Zombieland Review

By: Robert Acosta

Plot: Two months after a zombie apocalypse has occured, 4 survivors look for any way to stay alive.

Cast:
Woody Harrelson as Tallahassee
Jesse Eisenberg as Columbus
Emma Stone as Wichita
Abigail Breslin as Little Rock

Review: I remember watching the trailer for Zombieland, I can't recall for which movie it was before, and thinking to myself...I cannot wait for Zombieland! I also couldn't help but think, god damn Emma Stone is hot!

As you may be able to tell, I might be biased in my review thanks to Emma Stone and her hotness. I'll try not to make this all about her and make this actually about the movie. I cannot guarentee anything though.

When you watch the trailer, or even the beginning of the movie, you can tell this is gonna be a light-hearted "horror" movie. It doesn't take itself too seriously. With that said, it still offers up some small scares, gruesome zombies and some bloody deaths. Other than that, it becomes more of an action/comedy film.

I was impressed with the casting choices, they mostly went with up and coming stars mixed in with a couple of household names. You have Jesse Eisenberg as the wimpy guy who seems to stay out of trouble as Columbus, the scorching hot Emma Stone as the bad ass girl who doesn't need anyone to protect her as Wichita and the young Abigail Breslin who takes after her sister Wichita and can fend for herself as Little Rock. You throw in Woody Harrelson as the typical "nothing to lose" type of guy as Tallahassee and a hilarious cameo from a comedy legend and you've got yourself a very good cast that blends together.

It almost seems unlikely that this cast of actors can make a good comedy movie but it works. Woody Harrelson is a damn good actor, maybe the main one depending on your perspective and has some funny back and forths with Jesse Eisenberg. Eisenberg reminds me of Michael Cera a little bit(not a compliment), but he seems to be much funnier than Cera. Emma stone has been featured in comedies before so she's a natural at getting laughs. Especially from me.

The story is pretty basic for a zombie apocalypse movie. Stay alive by any means necessary. They go from on the road to Ohio to a mansion in Hollywood to an amusement park in Los Angeles, along the way meeting, and killing, hundreds of zombies.

Like I said earlier, the movie doesn't take itself seriously but I want to add that you still connect with the characters. When you hear about Tallahassee's story and everything he's lost, it's kind of touching and you kind of feel bad for him. Same thing with Little Rock's situation and how she can't really have a normal childhood because of this zombie apocalypse. So even though the movie is a horror/action/comedy movie, it still makes a deep connection with you.

They're have been rumors about making a sequel, to which I say: "Nut up or Shut up."

Overall, Zombieland was one of my favorite movies of 2009 and has slowly become one of my favorite movies of all time. What's there not to like? Great comedy, great action, small bit of horror, Emma Stone. Enough said.

Rating: 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment