Monday, April 5, 2010

Clash of the Titans Review

By: Robert Acosta

Plot: The son of the god Zeus tries to stop the underworld from spreading evil and taking over the Earth.

Review: What do we have here? Another remake?! Well I can honestly say I never saw the 1981 original of Clash of the Titans and to be honest, thought this was an original movie until I did my research. Nonetheless, I do like greek mythology and these movies about gods are usually interesting. This one, not so much.

There's nothing I absolutely loved about Clash of the Titans. I enjoyed Ralph Fiennes as Hades, he really is a tremendous actor and the role of the villian of a movie is his specialty, his calling card. On the other hand, Sam Worthington is hit and miss. He works well with action movies, could be the next action movie star but he still seems so emotionless. There is just something about him, it's sometimes boring to watch him.

The action scenes are sub-par, nothing really stands out. The Scorpion fight scene wasn't bad but graphics seemed a bit off. Now I want to note, I did not see this movie in 3D. I heard some bad reviews for the 3D version because it was converted to 3D and the visuals weren't all that great. Another case of 3D not really necessary. Hope this 3D phase fades out and soon.

Back to the movie.

The one thing I was excited to see was the kraken cause it seemed like it would be something awesome to see and it would add up to a great action scene. What it turned out to be for me was a big disapointment. The kraken lasted like 5 minutes, at best, did some destruction and was ended. The one thing that got me excited for the movie ended up being the biggest disapointment.

I will throw in one more positive. All the figures in greek mythology are properly represented and look good. There was really nothing wrong with any of them, the kraken was a huge monster, just not used right. Medusa was portrayed nicely, had a bow and arrow, not bad. Of course, looking at Zeus, Hades and all the other gods is fun for me and was done nicely as well.

Overall, the movie wasn't good and mostly boring. Ralph Fiennes as Hades and Liam Neeson as Zeus both really carried the movie. Sam Worthington on the other hand, has some work to do. He has the potential to really shine, I just don't see it happening just yet. The kraken was horrible, way too short. Just wait to rent it on dvd or wait for it to come on TV, it's not worth a theater watch.

Rating: 1.5 out of 5.  

No comments:

Post a Comment