Thursday, April 22, 2010

Death at a Funeral Review

By: Robert Acosta

Plot: A funeral ceremony goes horribly wrong when secrets are revealed, drugs are mistakenly taken and bodies are misplaced.

Review: I'll be honest, I had no idea this was a remake of a movie made in 2007 over in the UK. I think most people believe this is an original movie and that's ok because I think this movie is probably funnier than the original. Now I haven't seen the original but I have a feeling that Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Tracy Morgan and company are some of the funnier people on the face of the earth.

I may be a bit biased because I saw this movie after Kick-Ass and was in an extremely good mood watching this movie. Nonetheless, I'll review this movie as honestly as I can.

I don't think Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence have ever been unfunny or boring in a movie before, putting them together in a movie should just end in a funny movie. Right? Of course! Were you expecting me to say wrong? Not to say that either of their performances were their best, but they were still funny. I personally like Chris Rock the comedian, rather than the actor. The supporting cast holds up pretty well with actors like Tracy Morgan, James Marsden, Columbus Short, Danny Glover, Regina Hall and the drop dead gorgeous Zoe Saldana. Together they all provide a number of funny and definitely one or two memorable moments. Constantly named as one of the most unappreciated actors, James Marsden shows how flexible he is, and hilarious, when it comes to roles. He can do action movies like X-men, comedies like Death at a Funeral and much more serious roles like The Box.

The story isn't all too intriguing but it still leads to a lot of funny parts. The story seems to revolve around a couple things and certain points of the story are predictable. Not to say that the story isn't funny but more scenes out of left field, random, would have been funnier.

As I alluded to before, they're are a number of funny parts along with a couple of memorable moments. The ultimate goal of a comedy is just to make you laugh. They're are comedies that do that every other minute, they're are some that have their moments spread throughout the movie. Death at a funeral is like a mix of both. It gets you chuckling for a while in the beginning and then as the movie progresses, you get into it and really start laughing. Now, it may take a while to really get to the big, comedic moments in the movie but eventually you get there.

I don't really like talking about the moral of a story for a comedy movie but when I see a good one, I have to at least a mention it. The key theme throughout the whole movie was family and more so, sticking together. You had one character who only spent time with the family when a special occasion was happening, or in this a funeral, can't really say there is anything special about that.

All in all, Death at a funeral is a fun time at the theater, which is exactly what a comedy should be.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment