Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Despicable Me Review

By: Robert Acosta

Cast:
Steve Carrell as Gru
Jason Segal as Vector
Russell Brand as Dr. Nefario
Elsie Fisher as Agnes

Review: I can remember seeing the trailers for this about a year ago and already thinking to myself how great Despicable Me is going to be. As the trailers starting pouring in and the release date for the movie was near, I only got more excited. Now that I saw it(in 3D of course) I have to say it may be the best animated movie of the year.

There are a lot of positives to the movie and I have to begin with the story. The story deals with a criminal, Gru, who tries to pull off the biggest robbery ever by attempting to steal the moon. Only one thing is standing in his way is another criminal who goes by the name of Vector. The story is pretty funny to watch unfold. Gru has these yellow, Italian(?) minions to help him and they are hilarious to watch interact with each other.

The cast is packed with talented actors who you only hear their voice of course. Steve Carrell, Russell Brand, Jason Segal, Miranda Cosgrove, Will Arnett, Kristen Wiig and Julie Andrews. It's a star studded cast if it were a live action movie, it's a star studded class even in an animation movie. Some people thought that the movie was just using the names of the actors to draw people in while most of them played minimal parts and although that can be argued, it doesn't mean it's a bad movie. You barely recognize Russell Brands voice as Dr. Nefario but he's still featured enough.

Though the best character is the little girl that everyone seems to love, including myself. I can't tell you just how cute she is. I'm a 19 year old college student and I'm saying a character in Despicable me is cute. The little girl that everyone loves, her name is Agnes by the way, is the most adorable character I've ever seen. As soon as she speaks or even enters the room, you know something cute is about to happen. From her funny one liners in the movie to just her presence, she's the best character in the movie.

Most movies now are done in 3D, whether it's converted to 3D or shot that way. The converted to 3D movies usually don't pan out so great(take a look at Clash of the Titans to get an idea of what I mean.) Despicable Me on the other hand may be the best movie in 3D this year. A couple of scenes in the movie really make you feel like something is coming at you or you really are right there in the movie. Most of these 3D films out now don't give you that feeling anymore, which isn't great because that's the whole point of 3D movies.

I can't say too many bad things about Despicable Me. My only "complaint" would be that it was a bit on the short side. It runs at about 90-95 minutes, which is not a bad length but it still feels pretty short. It leaves you wanting more, which is good and hopefully spin offs or sequels come from this.

Overall, What else can I say? Despicable Me beat out Toy Story 3 for the best animated movie of the year.

Rating 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment