Saturday, March 13, 2010

She's Out of My League Review


By: Robert Acosta

Plot: An average Joe meets the perfect woman, but his self esteem issues and the influence of his friends and family begin to hinder the relationship.

My Review: I always thought that Jay Baruchel, main character of She's Out of My League, would be able to carry his own weight in a film, rather than being the guy with a couple lines, hiding in other peoples shadows. This isn't the film that he becomes a breakout star in but I still think he's heading down that road.

She's Out of My League is simply about a guy, Kirk, who sees himself as an unattractive guy and finds himself being asked out by an extremely hot woman, Molly, played by Alice Eve. As the movie goes on, Kirk's self-esteem gets worse and worse and he becomes his own worst enemy.

Most people would see this movie and say, "this stuff only seems to happen in the movies." This movie likes to push that idea away and say no, this could happen to anyone and to remember that love is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds very cliche I know.

Going into this, I expected a comedy much like 40 year old virgin and knocked up and this movie was far from that. Yes, it still has it's moments of comedy and they can be moments where you laugh for a couple of minutes. Mostly, the movie shys away from being hilarious so that story and the moral gets across and so that the movie is taken somewhat seriously.

Now understanding that concept, There were times where they tried to be funny and failed. A lot of lines and scenes with the character Stainer, played by T.J. Miller, ended up being unfunny. Just something about him and his delivery with most jokes didn't get a reaction out of me, kind of looks like Jon Heder as well. On the other hand, the character Devon, played by Nate Torrence, made up for the unfunny parts.

I can respect the moral of the story, viewing myself as unattractive and no way worthy of an extremely beautiful woman. Of course, the cliches come in. Love is in the eye of the beholder. Nice guys get the girl. The list goes on and on. Nonetheless, the movie just make guys like me feel like i've got hope!

Rating: 3.5 Out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment